Theory Examination Tips for Pupil
1) Make sure you have plenty of spare pencils, along with a pencil sharpener and eraser when you go into your music theory exam.
2) Read each question very carefully and underline the important words.
3) Make use of the scrap paper provided (for example to work out key signatures using the circle of fifths idea).
4) Try not to spend too long thinking about one particular question: instead make your way through the whole exam paper and use any time you have left at the end to fill in parts you’ve missed out.
5) Try not to leave any of the answers blank (for example it’s always worth making a guess at the meanings of Italian terms).
6) f you still have spare time, look over the questions which carry the most marks (marks are written in brackets at the side) and check and double check your answers for these.
See also Theory Exams and Grade 5 Music Theory.